How to Have a Happy and Productive Career in Music
These 17 tips can keep you focused in your quest to have a long and successful career in music.
Pursuing a career in music business is not easy nor is it for the thin skinned. In fact, with all the challenges one has to face to get noticed, it can actually be pretty darn depressing. It’s the time of year for lists and goals, so here are 17 ideas to help keep your spirits high and your focus sharp as you pursue new heights in your career in music!
1) Feed your brain. Keep expanding your knowledge of your craft and the music business and better yourself every day. It gives a feeling of growth and potential.
2) Focus on your craft. Put in your time, and be great. Write amazing songs and be amazing on stage. Always deliver quality and never cut any corners with the work that you do. As Malcolm Gladwell says in his book Outliers: The Story of Success, “Be willing to put in your 10,000 hours.”
3) Give knowledge back. Volunteer, teach, and help others. It will give you a feeling of purpose and belonging.
4) Avoid negativity. Negativity is an extremely infectious disease, so try to limit or avoid people who are unhappy with their lives and careers, who have a false sense of entitlement, who are envious, and who try to manipulate and control. And stay away from the haters!
5) Know how to party. What I mean is, know when enough is enough, which could mean not at all. Restraint is power, and if you really want a career in music, you need to focus when it’s time to do your job!
6) Be healthy, eat healthy. The way you feel directly affects your mood, so eat healthy, be healthy, and find ways to be good to yourself.
Read the rest of the article here!